So, i was food prepping earlier today and found a Granny Smith and Pink Lady in the salad drawer of my fridge (did you know those drawers are called “crispers”??). Anyway, I decided to make some baked apple crisps but I really only needed half of each apple so started looking for recipes to use up the remaining halves. Thats when I found these paleo muffins over on www.justjessieb.com, they are super quick to prepare (about 5 minutes) and really tasty with a big dollop of almond butter and a mug of steaming fresh black coffee. See the ingredients and method below with my usual adjustments included!
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (ground almonds)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly gratednutmeg
- 1 medium apple, diced (I used 1/2 Granny Smith 1/2 Pink Lady Skins on)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 TBSP cup honey
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients with the diced apple, life is too short to be peeling them and the skin is full of good fibre so leave it on!
- Place the honey & coconut oil in a small bowl & melt (i popped mine in a bain marie in the oven but a microwave will do the job just be careful not to burn/cook the mixture)
- Once melted crack in the 2 eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & stir until just combined.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin (I used more coconut oil cause I’m fierce flaithulach with it don’t you know!!) and scoop the mixture in.
- Bake at 170ºC for about 15 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden brown and feel slightly firm/springy to the touch… I left mine in a fraction too long but thankfully they still taste awesome.
- Serve with your favourite nut butter or a side of greek yoghurt.
I particularly liked mine before bed smeared with some almond butter and with a mug of my favourite pre bedtime turmeric milk.