- 300mls Milk of Choice (I use Koko Coconut milk)
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Protein (I use Shake Up+)
- 1.5 – 2TBSP Cacao
- 1 TBSP Pure Nut Butter (I use Meridian Cashew)
- Pinch Salt
- Drop of Agave
Grated Dark Chocolate, Grated Ginger, Grated Orange Zest, Pinch of Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Pinch of Nutmeg, Coconut Sugar, Protein “cream”…. the list is endless!
The above recipe is for 1 person so multiply this out per person you are making this delish recipe for. For kiddies if you don’t want to add the protein use 2 full TBSP of cacao powder (not the red tub of cocoa!).
- In a pan add the protein, cacao and nut butter. Add a little of the milk at a time until a smooth paste is formed.
- Top up with the remainder of the milk (I sometimes like to reserve 100mls for steaming for a frothy topping) and whisk over a medium heat.
- Add the pinch of salt at this stage and also your agave syrup to taste.
- You do not want to boil this mixture so remove from the heat just before boiling and pour into individual mugs.
To make protein cream mix 1 TBSP Philadelphia or Ricotta cheese with 1/2 Scoop Vanilla Protein and top your hot chocolate with a drop just before serving.
I like to steam milk and load it up with a frothy top with dark chocolate and fresh ginger grated over this.
For a mint variety you can add a few drops of peppermint essence to the mixture.
For a mocha option add a teaspoon of instant coffee granules.
For a chocolate orange, grate in the zest of 1/2 orange per person and also a few drops of orange essence.
For a chocolate chilli option add a pinch of cayenne pepper and chilli powder.
If you want a warming spiced blend you can pre-heat the milk in a pan with some crushed cardamon pods, a cinnamon stick, some cloves and a star anise. Once simmered for 10+ minutes on a low heat to let these flavours infuse strain well before before beginning at step 1 above.
For a slightly more naughty hot chocolate add a drop of Rum or even Ruby Port!
You can also make hot strawberry with the Strawberry Shake Up +